Family Happenings

A place so our family and friends can see what's going on in our lives! ----------------- www.geocities.com/familyaunaturale7 ----------------- www.localendar.com/public/mimi74_97 ----------------- http://photobucket.com/albums/y1/familyaunaturale7

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

25 miles from Booneyville

First of all, we had a great little New Year's Eve. Christian's friend, Micheal came to spend the night, Toree and I rented Mean Girls, Madison was happy with a new video game while Bailey and Morgan Haley were happy as clams playing with their news toys from Christmas. New Year's day found us loading up and saying good-bye as we prepared to take Christian and Toree back to meet their dad.

Sunday, Jan 2, we left out for Louisiana just after 6am EST. We made excellent time on the roads as there was very little traffic, no road construction to speak of and no coppers trying to catch speeders like me! We made it to the meeting place by 1:15pm, where we cleaned out the car, played basketball, played Scrabble, talked and all that good stuff. Nearly 2 1/2 hours later Matt makes it there to pick them up, so off I go to head back to Georgia.

Some 35 miles back into Mississippi, I heard a loud pop and bump and assumed I had blown a tire and was feeling pretty happy I was in jeans and t-shirt so that I could change the tire. As it turns out, I slung a rod and cracked the engine block. That shouldn't have happened in this car. Anyway, after waiting nearly two hours for the tow truck, we got the car towed to the car place and me a motel room for the night.

The next morning it turns out I could have stayed in the room until check out but as it is I got up early and walked to the car place to give them the key. Then I spent the rest of the morning in Books-A-Million listening to John Grisham tout his new book every 15 minutes. I finally went back, lit a fire under their hineys and got lunch while they took a look-see at the car. As I stated, they gave me the worst possible news they could have and that sent me on a search to find a way home. Highlights - don't ever need a one-way rental cause they'll take your first and last born ($338.21 to rent one day, one way, unlimited miles); a rental to the nearest airport 60 miles away was over $75; the airport in town only flies to Memphis; U-Haul wants all your children (over $400) to rent a truck and dolly.

Finally, we got a tow to the dealership where they immediately got me a ride over to the Greyhound bus station where I bought a ticket at 2:54pm for the 2:55pm bus! As it turns out the bus ride was pretty doggone good and I met some good people. I finally got into my own bed around 2am, which of course was the best thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home