Family Happenings

A place so our family and friends can see what's going on in our lives! ----------------- www.geocities.com/familyaunaturale7 ----------------- www.localendar.com/public/mimi74_97 ----------------- http://photobucket.com/albums/y1/familyaunaturale7

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Joe in Iraq

UPDATE --- JOE IS SAFE!!!!
Though four men he knew and was close to died in the crash. Here's what he had to say ....

To everyone who sent me an email concerning the recent crash, thank you.Unfortunately, at approximately 0120(am) Jan 26, 4 Marines from HMH-361 (mysquadron) were killed along with 27 other brave Marines that were being transported to rejoin their parent unit.

Capt Paul Chris "Ahab" Alaniz, Capt Lyle L. "Dirt" Gordon, SSgt Dexter Kimble, and LCpl Tony Hernandez died that morning. All were married, 2 with children.

I worked with Capt Chris Alaniz for 8 months in the squadron's logistics department before we both moved to the maintenance side of the house. He leaves a wife and 2 year old daughter.

SSgt Kimble leaves a wife and 5 children. The youngest is 1 while the oldest is 10 years old.

LCpl Hernandez was married right before we deployed and his wife moved into their new house just last week.

And Capt Lyle Gordon...

Lyle was my best friend in the squadron. I'd known Lyle for the past 5 years. We did everything and went everywhere together when it came to the squadron. We were neighbors in North Carolina, and every time the squadron went ANYWHERE, we were ALWAYS room mates (OCS, Nevada, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, the Mojave desert, Arizona, and here in Iraq). We shared a LiteAce van in Okinawa and just recently, we became Helicopter Aircraft Commanders (HAC) together (a tough process of being grilled in questions by a board and flying 3 evaluation flights testing our maturity in the cockpit, flight skills, and decision making ability). Once designated as a HAC, Lyle flew with me on my "Cherry" HAC flight as my co-pilot. On Oct 1, 2004, Lyle pinned my Capt's bars on my collar. Since Heidi couldn't do it, he and Capt Neil Oswald were my next choices. Lyle leaves behind his wife, Kaci, who he'd been married to for the past 3 1/2 years. They were good friends of ours and were a wonderful couple.

Lyle, and everyone aboard that flight were great, brave Americans. Please include them and their families in your thoughts and prayers. They will be greatly missed.The picture attached was taken shortly after my promotion. Capt Neil Oswald is on the left, and Capt Lyle Gordon is on the right.

Sincerely,
Capt Joe Campomanes
HMH-361 Flying Tigers
MCAS Al Asad, Iraq
************************************
Tuesday I received an email from Joe with some more pictures of his temporary residence. Something said "Email him right now" but I put it off til the next morning. I sent him an email detailing our past few days as I always do (it's what he has requested - to hear the mundane every day stuff). Then I found out about the helo crash. I've never known where he was stationed. When I read the first report with the name of the area the helo crashed, I *knew* that's where he was stationed. Then it went on to say that most aboard were 1st MarDiv Marines... not all. I knew the MAW flew Marines from other units all over the place.

I went about my day and thought I was doing well keeping distracted with the things I had to do, but I think my distraction manifested itself in clumsiness. I fell down, tripped over myself, slammed my fingers in doors and drawers, spilt stuff and burned myself. Hopefully today will be better in that regard.

I finally got in touch with Missy, Brian's wife. Brian is safe and sound, thank God! He is stationed with Joe. She's watching the DOD release of the deceased's names for me. We'll know something as soon as we know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home